Owners Share their sad story and Warn About dog suffocation and the Danger Of Something That Everyone Has At Home
When Christine’s husband came home from work that day, he found the house much quieter than usual. Not worried about it, he thought that his dog Petey Pablo was in the middle of a nap, as is often the case. But that was not at all … In fact, during the absence of his owners, Petey Pablo was a victim of dog suffocation accident. A tragedy that his owners wanted to share so that others do not take this risk.
A domestic accident
Petey took advantage of the absence of his owners to put his muzzle in a crisp packet in the idea of crunching some salty treats in all discretion. After spilling the bag and eating some chips that fell on the floor, the dog stuffed his mouth into the bag and suffocated himself.
[irp posts=”2746″ name=”She Takes Two Sad Dogs To The Park, But When They See A Man In white Everything Changes”]
Unfortunately, his owners could not do anything to save him. Petey died because of a simple bag of chips. In order for this to not happen again, Petey’s masters decided to share their painful experience. They were surprised to learn that many teachers had the same experience.
Christina Young wrote on facebook
One week ago I kissed my baby boy goodbye on my way out for work.
But I had no idea it would be for the last time. Although I still can’t even wrap my head around what happened, and I feel we have an obligation to share what happened to Petey to hopefully prevent it from happening to any of your babies.
So we apologize in advance bc this is so hard to write about & I’m sure such a downer to read.
Last Monday, Christian beat me home from work by about 10 min & was surprised when Petey didn’t greet him at the door like usual. As he walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head.
He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course, went back for crumbs… with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation.
And she added
Petey was SMART so I didn’t understand why he couldn’t get it off with his paws. But after doing research the stats on how often this happens is shocking.
3-5 pet suffocation’s get reported every week and 42% of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about 3 minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels. With this happening so often we were so surprised by the lack of awareness on this topic out there. Especially bc I was a very overprotective dog mama.
In fact, 90% of the incidents reported the owner had never heard of this until it happened to them (us included).
Chip bags, cereal bags, bread bags, popcorn bags, dog/cat treat bags seem to be the most common.
She warns dogs owners
So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners & give your fur babies some extra love today and every day after this.
I pray none of you ever have to experience your heartbreaking this way. We love you papas you were the best boy in the whole world & we will remember our good times forever. Here you can read the original post